Friday, May 11, 2007

PinkMayFlower' Secret

An email from WK prompted me to find out more about May Leong. May Leong, 29 yrs old passed away suddenly while working on her laptop. She left behind her poor mom alone - I presumed still at loss on what else is left in life since her precious daughter is gone forever.

May Leong's blog @ PinkMayFlower' Secret - at first glance, it seems like any of our blogs containing cheerful pictures & colorful graphics. Nobody would have thought that the one entry she wrote in 2007 would be her last - on April 21st she wrote 'Worked up, Stressed Up, Crashed Down" her last entry of her life before she collapsed and passed away on April 23rd.

Believe it or not..this is my second time reading a blog of someone who has passed on. (The first one was Hee Boon's - a cancer patient who passed away end last year.) Reading May Leong's last entry was entirely different..

QUOTE
...Just after getting this recent position, I was thrilled to finally have the chance to "fly high" in a Fortune 500 MNC. It's ok for me to wake at 3.30am to start work @ 4.30am everyday in the morning. But never did I realise what kind of stuff were coming towards me..........

...All for the sake of a salary just enough to keep myself alive for a month. I'm not earning like the other managers are cos I'm only a contract staff.....

...Doc just said I'm really stressed out. sigh..... what should I do? Quit? or continue this ultra-super stressful job? I've got a contract of 6 mths to fulfill... 3 months to commit. If I quit now, I've got to pay back 1 mth's salary. Not worth it. If i quit after May, it won't be so bad. But I don't know if my health can tolerate til then. My mom's really worried & I can't do much to get less worried. Cos my focus was to earn lots of $. I really thought I was able to do everything, that I can be supergirl as well, but my health is worsening at a fast rate. Vitamin M(oney) isn't gonna cure my health. Just yesterday, I received an email from my job agency saying that a contract staff who's working in HP as well, passed away from heart attack, leaving his wife & kids... deja vu? coincidental? a warning sign? I dunno. I don't wanna end up dead for the sake of dough. The moral of the story is don't ever fall in love with your company or your job......

UNQUOTE






Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. this is sad indeed. the news was circulated to me too and i did the same, read a couple of may's blog entries. (see? it's good to keep blogs!)
    i dunno, i had a mix of emotions as i read the news, and her blog. was the company working her to death? or did she choose the path herself? or was it the vitamin M's fault?
    i think school needs to teach stress management.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well..i guess, it's no fault of anyone. it's probably destiny? May has been working hard and she was excited to have landed this job..and its probably the most promising job she ever had. Hence, it was hard for her to 'letgo' altho her body was screaming for help. I really dunno...was her boss too ignorant to notice the problems? lesson learnt - we just have to be more responsible to our own life lo.

    ReplyDelete