Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Tried Pilates



Ahem.

After years at the gym, I finally found the right mindset to walk into a Pilates class, heh.

I've joined this gym for at least seven years ago.  Those days I wasn't active at all, almost at vegetative state (haha), I started with doing only yoga, even that I had to drag myself each time, just so I utilise the gym at least once a week to justify the monthly payment.  I was also doing tai chi for about a year or so.

Then, I (suddenly) got bitten by the Body Combat bug few years back and life hasn't been the same any more.  Soon I was into RPM too. Then, picked up running two years ago and recently into Body Attack too, an athletic based indoor cardio exercise.  Now you see why I said, life hasn't been the same.

However, since then I almost dropped out completely from the softer type of exercises.  In the long run, I developed muscular / soft tissue (whatever) related injuries.

Back, thighs, legs, shoulders, you name it I have it.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that being physically active causes injuries.  It's just that sometimes we get carried away doing things we enjoy, we tend to ignore the sensible aspects of things.  For instance, eating too much, sleeping too much isn't good too. So ya..same goes to me and working out, three days into rest-mode I'll be pulling my hair out.


So..I walked into a Pilates class yesterday.  Earlier in the day, I read briefly that Pilates is about core strenghth, etc.... hmm..should be easy since I could hold plank for at least 40 secs. No?

See below...






Note the hand pumping part in the first minute of the video - that was killing!  Enough to confirm how weak my core were :(    The whole process is supposed to be powered by the core not the back nor neck.  My neck was tired most of the time..it was so difficult to activate the core! Damn it.

The video is only 6 minutes..but trust me..3 minutes is enough to make one realise how little we know and use our core.  Don't even think about using the ball re: the last 2 mins of the video.

All the kicking, punches, jogging endurance training seemed totally irrelevant here.

And all the exhale and inhale got me all confused.

And..what the heck is "curling you pelvic".  I do pelvic lift exercise frequently to strengthen the back..it was just lift, hold 10 seconds, and return  for 3 sets of 10, and I'd be done.

But..Pelvic Curl..is entirely different.  Looks the same but it DIFFERENT!
Watch this..

I left the class feeling somewhat dissappointed.  Believe me...even the toughest athlete will be belittled by Pilates.


My conclusion, in Pilates we discover little functions and movements within our body that we almost never bother paying attention to.  Breathing for example.  How often do you inhale with your nose and exhale through your mouth?



So..I was feeling a little upset and disappointed with my self after the class, I walked into another class. BODYCOMBAT :D


A good summary about Pilates - HERE




Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment