Friday, November 16, 2007

Fu Yuen

How do you normally alert a waiter/ waitress in a restaurant/ eatery? I'd normally just wave my hand and signal whatever I need from them. e.g. 'the scribble sign' when I need the bill, 'the pour water sign' when i need water or simply just whisper whatever I need hoping that they can read my lips. I am a very shy person by nature. I didn't even scream when I was on a roller coaster. Neither did I when my neighbour's house was on fire. So..it's a task for me to call out loud at public places.

FU YUEN... - this is a mandatory word that you have to call OUT LOUD when you are in Beijing Eateries. Fu means Service. And Yuan means Personnel. Whenever you call FU YUEN loud enough..the polite ones will answer you immediately by saying - NI HOU - equivalent to 'my pleasure' I suppose.

I find it so weird & amusing everytime Fafa calls out loud FU YUEN. Sometimes she had to call several times due to our 'multiple' requests. Fafa said..she was also very shy when she first got to Beijing. Most of the time she will wait and wait until a waiter/ waitress passes by.

She tried several times to make me call but I very shy...couldn't do it la.

FU YUEN!
Best Blog Tips

3 comments:

  1. ehh i thot ni hou is ur good? akgakgkagakgagka direct translation!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well..ni hoa...means 'how r u' or 'u r good' if we translate directly..

    but i'd guess when it is use as an acknowledgement to a 'calling' it probably means 'my pleasure' or something.

    By the way..I've been told that it should be FU WU YUEN...not FU YUEN.

    ReplyDelete