Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Ni Hao

Yesterday, I spent about 3 hours in Mid Valley, mainly to kill some time and to catch up on my shopping. It has been quite a long time since I did a leisure browse shopping here.

I was at the Metrojaya first, looking at swimming goggles, something that I'm buying for the first time. I went to a group of sales personnel who was happily chatting away to ask if I can try these on. The guy which I directed the question to - Totally Ignored me. I asked him again...and he turned to his colleague to inform her that she has a customer. How rude!

My mood was reasonably good so I didn't let that affect my day. I went on browsing in other parts of the mall. At Watsons, a very young pharmacist approached me to ask if there's anything she can help..that's very nice.

At the Jusco...I started to wonder that 'something's missing'. Since my mood's reasonably good, I even tried smiling to some of the staff..but almost no one reacted. Most of the staff are stading around looking bored or chit chatting away. One or two approached me but most of the time couldn't answer my questions clearly.

Eventually, I realised What's Missing! The "Greetings". When I was shopping in Beijing..especially in shopping malls...you will be greeted even though you are just passing by. They will very loudly greet you wiht a somewhat standard greeting in the likes of "welcome...please come in and have a look and feel free to try out anythg that you like". When you are at slightly higher end restaurants..even the cleaning lady greets you. They will greet and greet until you walk out of the door!

We are no where near this level of service man...
Best Blog Tips

4 comments:

  1. Yes totally agree with you. Our service industry still has a lot of catching up to do, most don't even know the basics of good customer service

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh ... that's Malaysia lor ... I also had bad experience in Metrojaya ... they totally ignore the customer and chat happily behind the counter until I hv to tell them I want to pay ... those staff need to go for proper training before they are allowed to serve the customers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. u noe wat... we shud actually highlight this to the management of metrojaya and all other outlets. no doubt we can complain but we shud also do our part by escalating it to their management in hope that these wud change... i havent been to china but but i've been to japan.... and everytime u walk into a stall be it restaurant or shops... u will hear ppl shouting sumimazennnnnnn and it felt good as ppl do acknowledge u....

    if u notice, shops like g2k, padini, esprit and some other shops in klcc do wish u...

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, if outlets like giordano can do it..I don't see why others can't do it. It's matter of quality of recruitment & training and how much the co. is willing to spend on these things.

    The Gardens supposedly has a 'greeter' at one of their entrance. But we could hardly hear his 'whispers' wor.

    ReplyDelete