Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Wheatz & Grainz


I do like bread as I'm a carbo person, but I'm also Chinese.  So I prefer rice and noodles as a main meal, hence, I don't know much about bread until my friend started this bakery.

Initially, I mis-heard the name of the bakery as "feet & brain" : D

Forgive me. As I really don't know much about bread, wheat and grains.  I'm CHINESE!

Two of the three partners of Wheatz & Grainz were former corporate brand and marketing managers, hence, I believe they have done the due diligence before deciding to go onto this platform.


Main description from their Facebook Page says:
Wheatz and Grainz is a local bakery that serves a range of European-style healthy bread, cakes and pastries. With the concept of 'healthy eating' being the driving force of the bakery, breads, cakes and pastries are freshly made everyday.


Baguette - I was also told, a good baguette has many holes :P
After some probing from me, a not so healthy layman consumer, I was told that they use whole wheat and un-bleached flour.

Doesn't make much sense to me still :P


Let me do some googling..

Best Bread Tip No. 1: Go for 100%

Just "whole wheat" doesn't cut it. Neither does "made with whole grain," Look for labels that say "100% whole wheat" or "100% whole grain," and don't settle for anything less. If it’s 100% whole wheat, the first ingredient listed in the ingredient label will be whole-wheat flour or 100% whole-wheat flour.


You want whole grains because they're naturally low in fat and cholesterol free; contain 10% to 15% protein, and offer loads of healthy fiber, resistant starch, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, phytochemicals, and often, phytoesterogrens (plant estrogens). With all those nutrients in one package, it’s no wonder whole grains provide so many health benefits, including protection from heart disease, stroke, diabetes, obesity, and some cancers.



Unbleached white flour is typically all-purpose flour that has not been bleached.

Bleaching is a way of chemically aging flour without the wait. When flour ages naturally, it changes color from creamy ivory to white. When chemically bleached, in addition to the color, the flour’s structure also is changed, so that it does not form gluten as well as bleached flour.

Bleached flour is used when you want results that are light and delicate, such as cakes, cookies, pie crusts and other pastries. In bread-baking, formation of gluten is critical to the structure of the dough and bread, so use unbleached flour for breads and pizza crusts that you want to rise, shape and have a chewy final texture.


Whole wheat refers to the flour’s composition. While all-purpose flour is made from just the endosperm of the wheat berry, whole- wheat flours (regardless of their color) contain the milled bran, germ and endosperm. The bran actually hinders the development of gluten, which is why whole- wheat bread is heavier than bread made from just white flour.


Alright.  Enough of facts.

My verdict?

Wheaz & Grainz is located in the quieter part of TTDI.  Parking is fairly easy. I'd definitely come back here when I need a place to snack and coffee and probably some quiet me time after a tough day.

Yes...they serve coffee!  They apologetically admit that they are not professionally trained baristas but they did take the trouble to invest in a good coffee machine and 100% Arabica beans.



I like the coffee.  If only, they have time to polish up their barista skills :P
Since I know them, I've been given the challenge to make my own..it's definitely not easy to make a perfect cuppa!  May be I'll drop by more often and learn up the skill, soon you'll see me as the part time barista in the outlet?



Oh ya..do ask for some biscotti, I love them!
RM4 per pack to take home, if you're lucky, you get some for free tasting to go with the coffee.


Good variety of biscotti and such to go with your coffee

As for bread, I must say they're good. Prices are reasonable I was told by my other friends who are regular bread buyers.  

A loaf of baguette for RM5, good?
A country loaf for RM9, good?





Here's me trying a piece of Olive Rosemary with balsamic vinegar, surprisingly I like it!

Other yummies on the daily menu includes soup of the day, cakes, pastries, sandwiches, etc.
Hop in for a try!
P/S: I had the honor to try their Triple Layer Cappuccino Cake, it was yummy :)

For more information, visit their Face Page at https://www.facebook.com/wheatzngrainz


Address:
46, Lorong Rahim Kajai 14, Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, KL
(Same block as Continental Tyre near Hong Leong Bank)
Closed on Mondays


Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. OK OK time to drop by. Maybe we can do lunch somewhere nearby & then go over for coffee & dessert ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good idea, but gotta find a good place nearby lor

    ReplyDelete