Thursday, May 30, 2013

What's your motivational profile?


I never really mentioned here that I'm actually a 'qualified' Unit Trust Consultant.  I took up the path sometime last year for two main reasons:


  1. To give moral support to a friend who turned full time and shortly after her daughter became very ill
  2. To give myself a chance to learn a new skill and explore if the new path will lead me to something new, be it economical or personal related
It has been more than 6 months. It didn't really take off.  The drive is just not there.  From a practicality point of view, it's not that difficult to earn something out of it, but successful ones will want to build a sustainable business and the eventual goal is to have a comfortable flow of passive income.

I've got some success with a few friends, and it did seem easy enough. A couple of signatures, submit some forms and commission in the next month.  Much much easier than sitting at the desk for hours looking at numbers?

However, for whatever reasons..I couldn't find motivation to build further.  I don't even pay attention on my own portfolio.  It's just not my cup of tea.  Economic graduate so called.  No wonder I didn't do well :P

So, long story cut short...I think this is not my forte.

And I wonder again...what motivates me? What kind of work turns me on?

Well, to some extend I enjoy data churning, problem solving, learning up new tools / software...(I swear, I'm not saying this just because it's part of my job for the last 15 years).

I enjoyed helping to promote the MADE charity event. 
I enjoyed helping to setup and manage my friend's bakery Fb page.

Sigh..so how now?

Apparently there are a few factors to consider when trying to understand our own motivational profile, according to http://www.yourofficecoach.com:


Achievement - prefer tasks that have a clear beginning and end, rather than process jobs
Interaction -  value relationships, may extend co-worlers relationship to friendships
Creativity - dislike repetition, enjoys finding new ways to do same tasks
Leadership - enjoy leadership roles, prefer interating with higher managers
Service - motivated by opportunity to help others
Problem Solving - enjoy providing advice to complicated issues/problems

According to the same article, by using a 5 pt scale from Very High Importance to Very Low Importance, rate how important are each of the above is to you, than do the same to your work.  Compare the two results, to see if there's a gap.  I did it ..boy..what a huge gap I have when compared to how I see myself vs as a UT Consultant :(



haha..I'm nuts, I know.



Will share results in next post. Gotta go now!















Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment