Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Muay Thai at Muayfit


So, I finally signed up to try Muay Thai for real.  Well, not exactly signed up, it was one of those LivingSocial deals I got online. RM28 for a month :P

The closest I got to doing something similar was a few personal sessions with a PT at the gym. Back then, it was a one hr session.  10-15 mins goes to warm up at the treadmill. About 15-20 mins one to one drills with the trainer. Followed by another 10-15 mins of cardio training, and lastly some cool down and stretching.   It was fun.  I like it.  But too costly for me at close to RM90 per session!

That was some 1-2 years ago.  I've asked and looked around for more affordable alternatives, but not so actively since I was bugged with injuries and all.


And this year, a friend at the gym told me that there are some good deals online. He managed to grab a 3 month pass for only RM68.  So, whenthe recent RM28 deal came about I grabbed it without hesitation.  After all, it's only for a month.

So..how was it?

Originally, I was planning to get the most out of the RM28 by going a few times a month.  Muay Thai (MT) is just one of the many types of martial art classes offered in Muayfit, and we can attend as many as we wish to!  There are MT classes on all days (on both mornings and evenings) except Wednesdays.

I was being ambitious by hoping to attend at least twice a week...and may be try some other classes as well.

Hmm..that was the initial plan.

I eagerly went for my first class last Thursday morning, 10am.  It was a beginner class, which sounder errr..easy, right?

I was late, class was about to start when I stepped in.  The gal at the reception welcomed me, took down my particulars and said..."you are not beginner right? your dressing and body tells me that..so you can start immediately..no need intro"

Right...I'd took that proudly as a compliment.

Warm up was running and shuffling around the room (quite big) for a good 5-10 mins, swinging arms, punching air, etc.  Half way through, I was huffing and puffing :D

Then we did some stretching.   Thank God, they stopped, I can take a rest.

Next was this..see below!




The fighter in the video is a professional fighter of course, but the drills that we were asked to do were very much similar.  The only difference is the power of the punches and kicks, obviously.

There were 5 pax in the class that morning.  I was partnered with a nice Chinese dude who had been a member for 3-4 months.  So, he was able to give me some good guidance.  The instructor showed us the moves and we took turns to be the 'attacker' and the'receiver'.  I didn't have much problems as the attacker cos I've done it before, but being the receiver, doing the opposite and taking the blows is another story.  My poor partner had to go easy with his punches and kicks :D  I think we did 3 sets of different drills.  This session was about 15 mins at least, I think.

It was a 1.5 hours class by the way.  So, by the end of this first session (excluding warm up) it was only about half an hour.  I had another full hour to go. I was still 'ok'..but already quite tired by then.

The next session, hmm... was some sparring using just punches focusing on the body. Strictly no face/head shots to avoid injuries, and no hard punches..just soft taps.  Hm..that was something new for me.  It was quite fun though.  We rotated partners..so I got to spar with three different persons..a little guy about 13 yr old, the instuctor and another nice kind chap who was almost too shy to even touch me :D  The 13 yr old commented that I was good for a first timer. Heee.

After that relatively fun session..we went on to the punching bags. So, if you're stressed out and needed to hit someone, this is the time. Imagine this:
- 50 punches
- 25 round house kick on each leg
- 25 front kicks on each leg
- 25 knees on each leg

Go ahead and count..that's like 200 hits.

That's not the end yet.  About 30 mins more to go..*cries*

Next, we were asked to grab some dumbbells, of course I took the smallest available.  Pink ones..obviously for ladies.  By the way, through out the whole class...instructor showed no special treatment to me as a newcomer nor as a female.  He did watch and give some feedback once in a while..but there was nothing like.."you can take it easy" or anything like that.

Ok..back to the dumbbells.  We had the dumbbells in our hands and all of us stood at one end of the room.

We start by doing right and left knee with hand movements (as if you're pulling your opponent's head down) and (dumbbells still in hands) as we move to the other end of the room, and back to the original position (doing the same knee and hand movements), and then drop on the floor to do 15 push ups.  Repeated like 3 sets, I think.  Almost died.


There was more.  Next it was kicks instead of knees but no hand movements but weights still in arms.  Push ups was replaced by pushing the weights up in the air while standing.  Again, repeat 3 rounds.

There was another set..I can't remember what we did..may be front kicks.  Similar..to and fro the room, lift weights, 3 sets.


You can imagine what it was like by the end of that?  And we stil had like 10-15 mins left..I thought that's the end.we can cool down and relax.

Not.

50 sit ups coming up! With legs straight out, a partner 'sitting' on the legs to make sure it's straight out, and at the same time, partner 'hits' (with a glove) the abs at each sit up.  Of cos..my partner was very easy on me..but I heard the instructors calling out to the others to 'hit harder!'


It's been almost a week. I'm still recovering! My arms are still somewhat sore and my ankles and back's been hurting too. Trying out Advanced Class..no way!!


I think I will rest till Saturday, since I've got a 'date' on Saturday with another gym friend who signed up earlier.  Gotta make sure I'm a fit partner!



Haha,..and I was planning to attend a few classes a week!

Sigh..I think I'll stay with bodycombat in the gym..looks like my injury prone body can't take all these impact sports..





Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment