Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Back Muscle Strain

Was planning to blog about the 2013 Live Great Run that I participated in last Sunday.  It was a 12km run. The route was quite hilly around Bukit Tunku.  In fact, there wasn't much flat land, but yet the hills weren't that steep.

Overall, it was a good but somewhat challenging run.  I finished in about 1 hr 41 mins, not too fast yet not too slow (Ranked 107/256).

I stretched well after the run, there were no strong cramps, all seemed good apart from a sore right buttock - something that I've learnt to live with i.e. suspected sacroiliac syndrome.

Woke up the next day feeling pretty okay, I've learnt that if I stretch properly after a workout, I'll be less sore the next day.

As with all morning I did the regular round of back exercises and stretches.  Again, not much problems.

It was a public holiday but I had to stay in to do some work.  I started to feel unwell by afternoon, my back started to feel really stiff.  I'm quite used to back problems, normally it will go away if I keep to the exercises.

I could still do some mild exercises on the next morning but it got really bad towards evening.  Very basic movements like bending down, sitting down, getting up, reaching out became really painful tasks.  Even dep breathing and sneezing was painful.  I got really worried that it may something more complicated like a slipped disc or a recurrence of transverse myelitis.

Hence, I decided to see a GP just to be safe.

The doctor examined me and concluded that it's muscle strains or over exertion.  Slipped disc will be much much more painful, he said.

He prescribed some muscle relaxants, pain killers and gel to relieve the muscle spasms.

Medication seems to be working..hence I'm blogging this :)

It's wearing off though..as I can feel the tightness setting in again.  I better log off to have dinner, and take another round of meds.

Doc said..it will take a week or two to heal.  Crap.  I'm gonna beat that!  You think I can?





Best Blog Tips

1 comment:

  1. I think you overdo this time with 3 races almost back to back!! In between still go to classes in gym. Take it easy ah

    ReplyDelete