Thursday, October 31, 2013

I couldn't run, so I walked.


The late sinseh had mentioned before that brisk walking is the best exercise for us. Back then, I thought it's so Duh to walk when I could run or jump and kick about in fun classes at the gym.

Years later, age has caught up, body condition has changed.  The recent problem with the back involved injuries to deep muscles in the back, hip flexors, hamstrings, etc...all inter related.  Any exercises that require exertion to the back and hip or even leg muscles would be uncomfortable.

The osteopathy said he can make me better but it's up to me to reassess my lifestyle, exercise options, sitting and sleeping positions, etc.  He said that exercising is an important aspect, but when there are injuries we gotta learn to adjust appropriately.

Will touch on what Osteopathy is all about at a greater length in future. 

In summary, I (we) need to exercise in one way or another.  

Before I got active in the gym, I used to go for regular massage sessions, the masseur said that I was only paying her to help me exercise !

Similarly, relevant articles on Osteo also mentioned that no treatment will help if the patient goes back home and be a couch potato.

I have been a good patient this time!  Treatment cost is expensive, better not waste it :D

I was away from the gym for about 2 weeks, now back to only twice or thrice a week.  I skipped the Adidas KOTR last week and won't be running at the 2xu run this weekend too.

Whenever I feel stiff, I'd go for a walk. In fact I've learnt to enjoy walking. But I need my music though. It's quite fun and relaxing especially when he weather is good.

I've learnt to enjoy stretching too. I stretch religiously for 30 mins or more every morning and after a run or walk or class at the gym.  Really helped to lengthen ans strengthen the muscles.

The Osteo said its important to start doing what I used to do again to test  what I can and cannot do, it will be good info to him too, if I need to go back and see him again.

It's all up to oneself actually.  For me, ya, I cannot be as active as before.  I used to be able to go to gym classes everyday.  I should be running 15km this weekend.  I can't now.  But staying totally away and inactive is not a solution either.  Any 'movement' is good for the body, even the brain.  It doesn't have to be a 10km run or any rigouros regime,  

In fact, I was thinking..I could just to a 5 mins walk over to my brother's house instead of driving.  That's good enough to relax the joints and muscles.  

Some articles recommended..walking up and down the stairs at home. Haha. That could be an options...but a bit too close up and boring for me.  I prefer outdoor..that is if weather is good.

Let's get active!






Best Blog Tips

1 comment:

  1. 30min brisk walking daily is actually good enough for health. Good that you are taking things easy nowadays and let your injuries heal

    ReplyDelete