Monday, August 26, 2013

How You Can Help


Recently, there was news on an old man about how he selflessly climbed into a monsoon drain to rescue a lady from her over turned car.  It was only a small piece of news, I can't even remember where I read it and where it happened.  If I'm not mistaken it was in the East Malaysia.  While everyone stood by the side watching and taking photos of the over turned car, he asked around if the driver was still in the car, the answers he got was "don't know".

Without much thinking, he climbed down to check and found that the lady driver was trapped semi conscious in the half sub-merging car.  I think I read that he had to single handedly moved the car rear away from the concrete bank so that he could break a window to unlock the door.  The lady must be so relieved to be out, Thanks to him.

Shortly after the ambulance arrived, he disappeared to get on with his delayed daily routine delivering dumplings to the market.  Reporters managed to track him down to ask him about his heroic do.  He said he was just acting out of instinct as a normal human being.

In my case, I think at least a dozen of people came out from a nearby building or stopped their own vehicle on a relaxed Sunday morning to checkout the post accident drama.

As mentioned, the first person that came to me was the other driver who collided with me.  He helped a lot in making sure I was unhurt and calm.  Despite his own shock and with some previous experience with accidents and road mishaps, he didn't say a word about why and how I didn't see him coming instead focused on the bigger picture i.e. we escaped unhurt. And, what are the next steps - call the insurance company to send the tow trucks!

The second person that came to my aid was a calm helpful man (may be in the 50's).  The first thing he said to me (after making sure that I wasn't hurt) was "take care of your valuables, don't leave them in the car".  I was still in a daze but was alert enough to make sure my phone is in hand, I grabbed my iPod, Touch n Go card, cheque book, etc but couldn't get my pouch that was stuck in the gym bag that was pinned under the passenger seat.  He went in and managed t get it out for me. He also found my rayban shades somewhere in the car..it must have flung out somehow when the impact hit.  He, then reminded me to call my family members.  Thank you who ever you are.  He told me that h works inside the building, I hope to see him again some day when I'm there.

A police patrol car came by later but left when they saw that things are under control.


My sis and bro in law arrived shortly after.  My bro in law was very focused and headed straight to clear everything out of my car.  Something that I didn't think was necessary.  I was wrong obviously.  The car will be in the workshop for a long period of time so it should be emptied.  CDs, shoes, teddy bears, car locks, letters, documents..everything comes out.  Note to all - don't keep too many things in the car :)


The auto assist team from Nissan was also very prompt in making sure I get the right help.

A random 'rescue' vehicle arrived too, out of nowhere, and became such a nuisance.  They claimed that they are 'with the police' and showed us a 'badge'.  A second police car arrived shortly after them and they 'worked' together to bug us even more.  One asking for business.  The other asking for 'tips for helping out'  This is what we Don't. Need.

The tow truck operators (the official ones sent by our own insurance companies) was also very professional and efficient.  No time wasted and experienced.

The experience at the police station ... shall I say .."no surprises there"  If I'd have to rate I'll rate the experience at the front desk officer as the most pleasant amongst the "unpleasants".



So, if you happen to witness or be part of an automobile accident (touch wood), stay calm, stay focus, be nice, be helpful.

Peace.









Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment