Thursday, January 18, 2007

Disgust

When Daydremer told me about the news article I didn't bother to take note. It's something about some silly boatmen offering TOUR RIDES to take people around Kotat Tinggi, Johore to tour the flood areas.

I finally read the news in full at home last nite and ended up feeling disgusted. Here are some of the things that was mentioned by our dear fellow countrymen:

"....Boatmen here are charging between RM5 and RM10 to take people on a “tour” of flooded areas.
Knowing that such an “offer” was available, hundreds came here hoping to be taken around...."


"..We heard about the town being submerged and decided to check it out,” said Martin, a 30-year-old mechanic from Johor Baru..."

"...Those who had “toured” the flooded areas came back shocked at the devastation they saw.

“...I really pity the people here. I came because I wanted to see first-hand how bad the situation was after reading the papers,” said Jenny, a 28-year-old waitress. ...Asked if she felt it was a cruel thing to do to go on such a “tour”, she replied: “I did not bring the rain. I was curious and it is not like I harmed anyone by going on the tour. I paid for it....”

Well, I don't blame them for being curious but they could have at least take the opportunity to bring with them some food or any kind of donations to help the victims. Apparently, you can easily spot them as they will be happily taking pictures. Since they are so free to go round take pictures....might as well volunteer to to do some good.

Sigh...
Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. Yep felt disgusted too when I first read the article. Rather go on a short 'tour' than lending a helping hand. Sometimes I wonder what kind of human have we turn to!!????

    And to rub salt into wound they are proud of themself ie appearing on paper.

    ReplyDelete