Monday, August 20, 2012

What have I been up to..



So..we've been holidaying. It's Hari Raya Puasa (Eid-ul-Ftr) weekend here in Malaysia. While our Muslim friends celebrate the end of Ramadhan, we too enjoy our well deserved break :P

We have four long days of public holidays.  Businesses and offices resumes ops only on Wednesday.  Coincidentally, it is also a school mid term break, so many took the opportunity to leave town for the whole week.

Me? Well, a friend invited us to her newly renovated home for a cooking, eating and yak yak session on Sunday afternoon. I wasgiven the honor to cook up my so called signature tom yam soup (again).

So, I was busy playing 'cook'. Was at Tesco on Saturday, got some prawns, chicken fillets for the tom yum. Since it was Hari Raya eve, chicken was on controlled price, I bought a whole chicken for only RM6.60 for home use.

Only problem was there was no chopping service due to shortage of staff.

The last time I chopped up a whole chicken as under my mom's supervision some twenty years ago.


First you start with the thighs

The limbs were easy. Just go for the joints, chop and out they come.

Euw.

I remembered the toughest part was the body eg ribs and breasts.  Turned out to be quite okay actually. Same thing, just got for the joints where there are least bones.

While cleaning the chicken parts off unnecessary fats, I decided to make chicken rice for dinner!  Sis gave me a workable recipe.  Stir fry the rice in chicken fat with some butter and onions before cooking.

I marinated both thighs with some salt and ginger juice, and steamed in the rice cooker.  The juice was quite tasty but chix were abit over cooked.  I shall try my mom's way next time, soak in boiled water.


On Sunday morning, I went to the wet market to get the rest of the tom yum ingredients.  Came back around 10ish, prepared the ingredients and was out of the house around 1140am nd only came back home around 9pm.  There were so much food, we stayed to help finish off as much as we could.  We were so full!!


No pics of my tom yum. Same old dish, no need lar.  Moreover it wasn't great this time as I didn't have enough lime juice :(


Check out finger food by SH here.  



Looks yummy isn't it?





Right..time to get some workout tomorrow.  Hope I can make it, I"m still somewhat sick btw :s




Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. Next round of makan makan will be at your home and you cooking all your creative recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO lar. those are all cincai stuff cannot serve guests

      Delete