Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Facebook - 3 years later

It's been about three years since I started a Facebook account.  It started with a few of us..wondering what and how is it such a craze?  Now..it is not just a craze...it is...a phenomenon.  Oh may be not..every tom, dick and harry has a Facebook account.  It has become like a Hotmail account back to 10 years ago. 

So who doesn't have a Facebook account? My dad doesn't but that's just because he is not IT nor English  literate.  I know of many friends whose parents or may be even grand parents have a Facebook account.  A couple of my aunts and uncles are connected with us on Facebook.  They are not very active though.  Kids as young as four or five may also be using Facebook.  My five year old nephew has had his hand on facebook tending to his mom's farm's and cafes.  He even attempted to write on his Yee Ruth's wall..but of course it took him ages to type one sentence ..lol.

So..what do we do on Facebook nowadays?  It differs.  There are so many characters amongst Facebook users..even if it's just amongst my own less than 200 friends. 

..some are totally invincible..no comments, no updates but when I meet them in-person they seem to know about everyone's update and posting in FB

..some are like me, pretty much made our presence felt on a daily basis..so..if I don't update for more than two days..please check on me..I may be dead or or half dead ...lol. 

..there is also the secretive bucnh. There are hardly anything to see in their profile. Some even hid their wall..I've deleted quite a few of these.  Why bother adding me when I can't even see your wall? Good Bye.

..some are purely Gamers.  Their updates are nothing but games updates. No photos. No greetings.  I'm very tempted to delete some of these too from my network : P


And..the list goes on.


It's been three years.  There are no more excitement.  I don't play games anymore.  I don't add applications unless it's really necessary.  I've also been selective about joining groups and fan pages but I must admit some fan pages are quite informative and up to date. 

Don't think my friends list will grow much as most old friends are already reconnected unless I meet new people.  The school group that I created back then has 469 members to date! Not too bad at all for a closed group.

Basically, it has evolved, for me at least.  I have a habit to log on everyday..update if I have things to say..just like saying Hi to and old friend,..who will of course help me broadcast to everyone out there. At times..friends will react with some witty comments..at times..a long long thread will be generated.. .. fun? It's just a nice..alternative way of interaction.  So much better than the traditional..of tele[hone call ..and then not knowing what else to say.  Don't you think so?

Oh I also post and keep selective images and pics..that are worth sharing and keeping.  Rather than keeping them hidden in an external hard disk..why not share it out..doesn't matter if no one looks at them..I enjoy having them in an open space..where I can click in to view and remember happy moments.

I can go on and on actually.  But I won't bore you la.  As you may know..I'm quite a internet junkie who also tweet regularly.  But it's all under control.  I don't tweet 20 times a day,.and I am careful that I don't flood my FB page with silly tweets and blog postings from here.  Don't want to irritate my dear FB friends and end up being hidden or deleted.  That reminds me of some rather strange individuals....who post updates and photos that most of us do not understand.  I chose to just ignore.  A friend of mine said she has hiddem updates from these people.  How nasty ..lol.  I hope I am still in her news feed !

By the way..I'm exploring foursquare and tumblr : ) Will talk about them soon.
Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment