Friday, April 13, 2012

All that can go wrong in Customer Care


For some reasons, I've had more than enough encounters with customer service support of different companies and brands lately.  Following up on a previous rambling about Customer Service - HERE where I've written about some of my good and bitter experiences lately.

One of my superior once told us - "..when you receive an email, ensure that you acknowledge regardless of whether you have a solution or answer to the subject matter but make sure you acknowledge the email.."

That was like more than 10 years ago where email was still THE main communication touch point.

Nowadays, with the internet and social media ruling the world, companies and brands should find it ten times easier to be closer to the customers, to acknowledge and to appreciate customers. No?

I wrote an enquiry to the Skechers UK site, I got an auto-generated-reply almost immediately.  It's automated but it's good enough for me to know that the enquiry was received.  An email  follow up came y within the next 24 hours.  The reply was general..but good enough since I wasn't even a customer.

And my recent experience with Go Sport ID (HERE) was more than pleasant for such a small purchase.

Now, back to the International Skincare Company.  Pardon me, I've been using this brand for years and I am was happy with it.

Quick re-cap. They introduced a new range of day cream, my face developed irritation.  How serious can that be?  If you're a woman and a regular user of day cream, you'll know how serious that is.


I think this International Skincare brand had done all that a brand should not do in terms of customer care.

Fault no.1: 
I couldn't get through the general line - the only contact no. available on the local website


I mentioned to a friend who is a staff, she offered to pass my contact to the respective dept.  I waited.

Fault no.2:
Nobody called


I called again after waiting for 1-2 weeks and managed to get through.  I was passed on to the respective dept. and was told that my problem 'was being looked into" and "the person in charge will call me back in a day or two"


Fault no.3:
Nobody called


I wrote to the International website to highlight the issue.


Fault no.4:
No acknowledgement of email.  A follow up call came from local office after only 1-2 weeks.


I told the rep. nicely that I've already managed to speak someone in the office and am waiting for a call soon.  I gave her the name of the person who was suppose to call me.  The rep "promised' that she will follow up on my behalf.

Fault no.5:
Nobody called.  No follow up


A few days ago, I called the direct line that was given to me.  There was no answer, so I was directed back to the operator who gave me a hotline number for the particular brand that I was referring to, oh..why wasn't this given earlier (I wonder) , then I had to repeat my story all over again.  The person "promised" to call me back.

Fault no.6:
This time they did call back!
But unfortunately, one of the first things said was .."MS W, we've checked and from our records you have not called us before"

Wtf.


Anyway,.it went on and on..me repeating the same story once or two more times.

And I just received a call today to say ... (you wanna make a guess)?


Sit. Tight.


Apparently, the person who was handling my case had left the company.

:D

What a joke....

So..there I was ..repeating my story again to some one who obviously doesn't understand the product..as I had to repeat the brand and range many times ...many times...and it was also very obvious that with her limited product knowledge she had no solution nor advice to my problem.

Well, at least one message came out good - I was told that "out of goodwill, I can exchange the the product with another item, and what would like I that to be"




Well, yeah..hooray..but my main question remained unanswered.... now that the new product is no longer suitable for me.. do you have any advice on which other variant that I can use?

May be..I was asking too much huh?  Since they are willing to exchange..I should just accept the offer and move on to another brand!

End of story.




Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. Same old story of Customer Service in MY la.

    But I must commend Dutch Lady for their excellent customer service. I bought some DL yoghurt from Tesco and 3 of them were spoilt. So I called their Consumer Careline & my complain was attended to promptly.

    I got my yoghurt replaced within 3 working days upon lodging my complain. In addition, the customer service officer did a follow-up phone call to check if the replacement products were good.

    I was truly pleasantly surprised by this prompt & good customer service. I will definitely choose DL as my 1st brand of choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done DL. If DL can do it for yoghurt..why not others..sigh.

    ReplyDelete