Monday, July 16, 2007

What do you think about this doc?

Patient with ankle, knee & hip discomfort went to see an othorpaedic. Conversation as follows:

  • Doc: Hello..I am Dr X? You have knee problem?
  • Patient explained areas & nature of pain to Dr.
  • Doc did a 5-10 mins examination & concluded that knee is 'rough', signs of wear & tear and ordered an x-ray & mri
  • Patient: What about the dull ache I fell in my hip/ waist area? Are they related?
  • Doc: Sorry..I only do knee and shoulder. If you want I can refer you to my colleague.
  • Patient puzzled ...but went for the scans anyway.
  • Scans done in about 2 hours. Patient and doc meet again to look at scans
  • Doc : hmm..yup..your knee cap is slightly tilted to the left..(explained using an exhibit).
  • Patient : What's the cause of this? Is it serious?
  • Doc : Emm..some people are born with it. (Continued to look at other films)
  • Doc : (Shrugged..) Look..here you can see some inflammed tissues. These may have put pressure on your knee cap too. That's why you feel pain. ok...I don't think you need surgery. I will start you on physio first and some anti-inflamatory drugs. Will see you again in 2 months.
  • Patient : (Puzzled again..) Err..so do you think these are related to my other aches. Especially on the hip..I am more worried about that.
  • Doc : This is very specific to the knee. I only do knee and shoulders. I can introduce you to my colleague if you want
  • Doc turned to nurses and rambled on about whether the Doc he is referrign to is IN
  • Physio therapist appeared out of nowhere.
  • Doc: This patient has...blabla la....(briefed physio about patient's condition)
  • Doct went off
  • Physio leads patient to physio area
  • Patient: (Totally pissed and confused by now... )...err...does this physio thing has to start now? today?
  • Physio : Oh..you can't?
  • Patient: well...I need to get back to work.
  • Physio : Oh ok...then you can make an appointment to come back another day.

Patient proceeded to make an appointment but has decided not to turn up for it. Patient was charged:

  • $150 for consultation
  • $800 for MRI
  • $200 for x-ray

Only take out from the whole visit is patient is a relieved that the knee is not in serious problem. But..what about the other areas?? Pay another few thousands to find out.

Patient left the clinic without even getting the drugs. That will probably cost a few more hundreds! Niama..

Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. U better tell ur trainer if he has overtrained your knee and causing the unnecessary pain. In the first place, who recommend you the doctor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with anonymous. You might have overexert your knees. And your doctor sucks.........change doctor!!

    ReplyDelete