Thursday, April 12, 2007

Transverse Myelitis

For those who knew me long enough will know that I had a mysterious medical background. When I visit a new doctor or if I were to get a new insurance policy, I'd always had to go through the trouble explaining what I had - and I could never explain properly. That's because I was never given a proper explanation by the doctors who treated me! Only recently I saw the word - transverse myelitis in the last medical report (done in 2003) from some fresh tests that I insisted on just to get a clearance & confirmation that I am cleared from any sort of serious sickness.

When I got hold of the medical report, I didn't dwell on it too much cos' I was 'busy with work'. The objective then was to get the clearance so that I qualify for a medical policy. I got it, fortunately, and it has been put to good use recently when I needed treament for endometriosis.

Am now in the process of reviewing my insurance coverage and took a second look at the short conclusion that my neurologist wrote in 2003. His conclusion says..."Previous transverse myelitis fully recovered with no no functional deficit."

I suddenly remember the power of internet and did a search on this subject matter. In short ..it (www.myelitis.org) says that:

"It is a neurologic syndrome caused by inflammation of the spinal cord. Conservative estimates of incidence per year vary from 1 to 5 per million population ."....."Recovery may be absent, partial or complete and generally begins within 1 to 3 months. Significant It is generally a monophasic illness (one-time occurrence); however, a small percentage of patients may suffer a recurrence, especially if there is a predisposing underlying illness."

Very informative indeed. All the symptoms described in all the relevant websites matched exactly what I went through and am still going through. Well, at least now, I get some sense of explanation. But I don't understand why the doctors did not explain properly then. It doesn't seem difficult to articulate since it's not a deadly disease whatsoever. May be it was my luck..that my neurologist (a professor in UMMC) was away when I went to review the test results. I got to see a relatively young doctor instead who gave me a half past six explanation. The report / letter to the insurance company only came later.

Speaking of luck...how in the world did I manage to fall under the "1 to 5 per million" category!

Well..with all said and done. I am fine now supposedly. With some minor 'defects'. Am grateful though that I didn't fall under the unlucky category which had musch serious defects.

errr..I made you all confused again. It's alright..just wanna share some findings.

Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment