Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Endometriosis

I have to make some clarifications...I guess I have not been clear or rather...I didnt want to go into too much details earlier. Now I see the need...especially after having to repeat myself to different individuals so many times. I also see a need to share this knowledge as I see a lot of friends (women) particularly are still ignorant about endometriosis. I was one. More than a yr ago a gynae told me that I hv this disease and suggested that I go on a 6 monthly medication. He didn't explain much but asked me to go read a website - which I glanced thru briefly. Ok.....I was ignorant. Here's a brief explanation about the disease from Wikipedia:

Endometriosis is a common medical condition affecting an estimated 89 million women of reproductive age around the world. In endometriosis, the tissue (endometrium) which lines the uterus is found growing outside the uterus, within other areas of the body. Normally, the endometrium is shed each month during the menstrual cycle; however, in endometriosis, the misplaced endometrium is usually unable to exit the body. The endometriotic tissues still detach and bleed, but the result is far different: internal bleeding, degenerated blood and tissue shedding, inflammation of the surrounding areas, and formation of scar tissue may result. In addition, depending on the location of the growths, interference with the normal function of the bowel, bladder, small intestines and other organs within the pelvic cavity can occur. In very rare cases, endometriosis has also been found in the skin, the lungs, the diaphragm, and even the brain.

A major symptom of endometriosis is pain, mostly in the lower abdomen, lower back, and pelvic area. The amount of pain a woman feels is not necessarily related to the extent or stage (1 through 4) of endometriosis. Some women will have little or no pain despite having extensive endometriosis affecting large areas or endometriosis with scarring. On the other hand, women may have severe pain even though they have only a few small areas of endometriosis.

Well...I don't remember reading that? I only remember opting to stop medication to see 'what happen next'. Well..nothing happened! The pain stopped! So I carried on with my life la.

Until recently, I decided to go check it out again (after noticing some abnormalities). I saw two gynaes and both give me very clear explanation of the complications...and because they can see very clearly now that there are 2 cysts in me...there were no reason for me to refuse treatment.

I was also advised to take a blood test (CA125) to rule out / in chances on cancer. And the test result came back quite high which gave everyone a scare. The doctors then told me that the chances of cancer is low though (1-2%) but this does indicate that I may have a serious endometriosis problem in me. So...that gave me more reason to go ahead with the surgery.

So...I paid RM10, 245.80 for the procedure which required 1.5 days in the hospital to find out that I have severe endometriosis. By right - I should have experienced tremendous pain...no idea why I didn't. Thank god I was sensitive enough to notice the spotting..if not there would have been more complications. The doctor spent almost 3 hours trying to fix the damages and clean up as much as he can.

Physically, I am fine now. Recovering very well..laparoscopy is a great invention...they can do so much with just three small holes. As for treatment, I have to undergo some 6 monthly jab to help the organs heal (supposely). And ..will see what happens next.

Lastly...to clear some confusion out there...I do not have cancer (yet).
Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear everything is well and you are recovering well from the scope :).

    Thank you too for the very enlightening article on endometriosis, to be honest, I am one of the many ignorant women out there too. So I learnt something today thanks to your blog :).

    ReplyDelete