Friday, August 26, 2011

Activating the Deep Core Muscles


Been reading up, just so I can talk some sense if I do go back to the doctor.

Was also looking for more information on whether I should go on complete rest, stay active and what are the recommended exercises that I can do.

This is not only relevant to those with back injuries.  This is for everyone..especially with our current lifestyle  of pro-longed sitting and limited activity, it is utmost important for us to maintain a strong and stable core. Relating back to when I first started exercising vigorously without a strong core or without knowing how to activate the core muscles - I developed shin pain, knee pain, almost sprained my ankle, etc - all due to lack of core stability and strength.

I can go on and on, I shall not bore you to sleep though, I just want to get this one most important point through - all our daily movements (even standing) are highly depending on the CORE.  When the core is weak, even doing something as simple as sitting up straight to read a book can be tiring. Sounds familiar right?

Read more HERE or HERE

I'm quite convinced that I have what they called  Sacroiliac Joint Inflammation , the symptoms are very similar.  Just click at the link if you are interested to know more about it.  I think I've read all articles available on the net on this.  The good news is, from what I gather, most cases recovered well with appropriate rest and physiotherapy exercises.  Only severe cases will require more invasive treatment like injection or surgery.

Last night I learnt a very simple core strengthening exercise.  So simple that we can all do it anywhere anytime.

The very first stage of a complete core strengthening program is about learning to contract and activate the two main deep stabilising muscles within the core - the Multifidus muscle and the Transversus abdominis muscle. 

 
Pictures and illustration taken from http://www.physioroom.com

Guess what, the part where the deep muscles are shown above, are where it hurts most during acupuncture and massage treatment, for me at least.

Try this:

In order to practice getting Transversus and Multifidus muscles to contract, it is easiest to get on all fours. Without moving your back, or pelvis, draw your stomach up gently - try to bring your belly button up towards your back. This is a very subtle movement so it is best to get your technique checked by a physiotherapist .

Note: 
This movement should not be confused with breathing in - it is important to breathe normally while activating the stabilising muscles.
Do not use the muscles at the front of the stomach - using your 'six pack' is not the correct technique.


If it is done right, you will feel a gradual relieve in your back as your core takes over the pressure.  Once you have mastered it, progress further by holding the contraction longer by 10 secs to 20 to 30 or even up to five minutes.

The beauty is once we get the technique right, we can do it while sitting in the office, car, while walking, etc...

I tried doing it last night and felt almost immediate relieve from the nagging stiffness and pain.  Felt great this morning too...but now back to some stiffness after sitting at the desk for too long.

You can read more about Core Strength HERE

Do not get me wrong, a proper Core Strengthening Program may have up four stages to like THIS ONE

and there are many other exercises like the plank and bridge, etc.  The above is just the one of the many which I find most relevant to all of us.

Hope you will like it...
         

If I may recap, my fitness condition was at the most tip top form in May after the Sri Lanka trip.  I started to have some back pain and major stiffness during the second day in HK during the end of May.

The doctor suspected I may have a prolapsed disc and / or some problems with the sacroiliac joint.  We decided not to do any expensive scan since I wasn't in extreme pain.  The plan was to work on strengthening the back and core which will lead to stronger spine support that allows the injury to heal itself.  I also went for TCM and acupuncture treatment.

I was better in a few weeks, did a 5km run at the end of June without much of a problem and enjoyed a very good work out at the gym the next day.  Unfortunately, my happiness was only short term :(

There was a relapse shortly after that, it was during the Body Balance class..some of the exercises were probably too strenuous for the back, I'm not too sure though, but the pain was so bad that I had to leave half way through the warm-up part of a Body Combat class.  That was like barely 5 mins into the class!

Whilst the discomfort and pain intensity wasn't as bad as the first time, thankfully, it is still  BOTHERSOME.  Visits to the gym is now down to only about once a week.  I miss RPM.  I've been eating loads instead... I'm growing bigger!

I haven't gone back to the doctor since the pain hasn't been that bad.  Continued with the prescribed core strengthening exercises, TCM treatment and now after understanding more about "deep muscles" - hopefully I will be better sooner.


Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment