Monday, November 21, 2011

Waze



"My current 'not so smart' phone can surf the net, can download games too, why should I get a smart phone"  I've asked this question a few times before I finally got the Iphone. Quite a few non converters have been asking me too.

Here's one example of what a non smart phone can't offer...

Just like how I answered to the questions.. a smart phone is not just a phone.  Apart from making calls and receiving sms, setting reminders.. with so many apps available and many many more to come, we can practically install exciting new features for different purposes every other day.

Waze is a new app that I installed recently. Waze is a community based traffic and navigation app that functions like Garmin but has more interactive and fun elements to it. And IT"S FREE!  

As with all other apps, there will be constant updates and improvements, it's still Free. Not a cent needed.   

As Ringgit said..those navigation devices business will have to close shop soon =P

Here are some screen shots and example from Waze.


This is what the map looks like. 
All those little heads with eyes are other fellow Wazers who were also online at the same time and travelling in the vicinity.  Those with a pacifiers are Baby Wazers..new users.  The blue car is me.  Other signs are hazards or traffic warnings posted by fellow wazers during that time.

You know what..Waze maps are automatically and constantly updated via active Waze users around the world as we drive around with Waze on. 




Pop up alerts will appear when other fellow Wazers post about the traffic jams in the area.  Apart from visual prompts, there should be voice prompts too..I have not heard any so far cos my music is always at the max :D



Besides traffic updates, fellow wazers can tip each other about road hazards like pot holes, stalled vehicles or even police traps...!


 


Another way to use Waze, is just take a browse at the list of reports before starting your journey..to see where the possible congestion are.





Cool eh?

I have yet to try using it for navigation function..it should work just fine I guess.

Loving it!


So with Waze I save hundreds may be thousands on navigation devices.
With RunKeeper I don't have to get a running watch to track distances n speed.
With Malaysian Insiders and BBC, I no longer need newspapers.
Email can be received and sent on the go.
Text messages (local and overseas) are free with WhatsApp messenger
Sending photos is also free and easy with WhatsApp.

Have I answered your questions?

Trust me,. there are lots more useful and important gdgets, some are free, the better ones costs some money, I'm currently satisfied with the free ones

New apps are being developed and launched everyday...it's impossible to catch up.

Waze was founded in 2009, according to a press release in June 2011 it was reaching 4 million users in 45 countries worldwide.  I can't find any information on how many users are there in Malaysia but there should be many, I joined a Waze group called "Petaling Jaya" to get alerts in this area :

It was created 15 months ago.
1274 members to date.
172 new users in the last month.
949 new activities in the last month.

That tells us something isn't it?


Privacy / Security issue?
Almost none, I'd say.  Only an email address and no other information needed during registration.  To be safe, just switch off the app when not using.  Most Wazers log on using a nickname. Linking Waze reports to Facebook, Twitter or Foursquare is only by choice.


Cool?

Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. I love it too although I did not explore it so much! The iPhone is a really cool device!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya man.. this morning i got a pop up and voice alert about a stalled vehicle dangerously parked on a road shoulder even before I reached the scene!

    ReplyDelete