Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Religions and such

Sri Lanka is a very religious country.
We were told that Buddhism was originated from here and even the Chinese came here to study the history of Buddhism.

Alcohol and beef is not advisable is most public places.  If I'm not mistaken most of the local guides that we interacted with do not consume alcohol nor beef.

We did see some liquor shops in the streets though, the guide says the consumers are the less religious. mostly blue collar workers.



Locals performing prayers at Temple of Tooth Relic @ Kandy

Inside the Temple of Tooth Relic 

Outside the Temple of Tooth Relic 

Jetavanaramaya - the tallest structure in the ancient world.  Some says it is still the largest and tallest structure  on earth that is made from bricks 
I feel very peaceful here.



I was very impressed with the guide who took us around.  He speaks very well and knows alot of the history and the religion itself.  But when I asked if he is Buddhist, he said "I'm trying to be one"

So humble.



I'm a Buddhist supposedly but I don't have much in-depth knowledge about the religion and practice.  I only have one basic principle...do more good, do no harm, have a good heart.



The Sacred Sri Maha Bodhi - preserved and supported by golden structures

Normally, I don't pay much attention to tour guide stories..but some of the things that this guide said caught my attention.

For instance, he said that humans will only turn to religion for 5 main reasons -:

..for health
..for money
..when we are lonely
..during old age
..and lastly but very rarely to seek wisdom


Golden Dambulla Rock Cave Temple
After completing our laborious climb to Adam's Peak, Carine asked me if I will ever do it again.  The locals do it very often for religious purposes.  My answer to Carine was.."if I were to do it again, I'd want it to be for religious purpose - the 5th purpose that is"


Sleeping Buddha in the Rock Cave 

The guide also said another point that stuck on to my mind, can't remember in detailed...but the fact that I still cling on to it after five months says something isn't it?

So...he was saying..that when someone kneels down to pray to the Buddha...to be able to do it sincerely..one's mind has be free, let go of all thoughts..it should be just one self and Buddha.  No thinking about what's at home..who's behind you, what people may say about you, all the what ifs and what if not.

That's why ...I always say that I don't know how to pray. Cos I can't do that.

Deep ...huh?


There are many structures inside the cave


Have a nice day =)



Best Blog Tips

1 comment:

  1. Let me know if you want to learn more about Buddhism. I can bring you to our discussion meetings! :)

    ReplyDelete