Friday, April 08, 2011

Beautiful Monster



This is the song for the conditioning track in the recent body combat release.  It's probably one of the toughest conditioning exercise so far..and I'm sure most regular 'combaters' will agree to that.


http://sportsmedicine.about.com
Try doing the hover (see above) plus raising the opposite arm e.g. raise right leg and left arm together. Actually staying put without raising any arm / leg is already very tough.  So..imagine, starting with the hover, then slowly raise one arm, then the other arm, for about 4 sets, then add intensity by raising one leg and opposite arm together, repeat for about another 4 sets.

And it doesn't end there, there are push ups in between, and then crunches of different intensity..and it goes on and on for about 5+ minutes!

When the release was first introduced, I could barely raise neither arm or leg.  After doing the release for 3 weeks, (also been working out harder than usual to train for the coming half marathon), now I can at least hold for the first round before dropping to my knees (the easier option).  I probably have a much stronger core now and ...may be a flatter tummy :P no six packs yet..but I do think six packs is possible if we are to do this every day!

Beautiful monster it is...torturous but yet so effective.

A year or two ago, just holding the hover position was a great challenge to me.  It's still a challenge now..especially on days when the core is weak e.g. ate too much or lack of core exercises.
Try doing it, you will know what I mean.

It is quite crucial to have a strong core..and it applies to everyone not only athletes.

The muscles of the core also make it possible to stand upright and move on two feet. These muscles help control movements, transfer energy, shift body weight and move in any direction. A strong core distributes the stresses of weight-bearing and protects the back...


Read more HERE


"Leisure athletes" like me risks picking up injuries without a strong core.  When I first started working out actively, I had knee and shin problems because my core wasn't strong enough to support the rigorous movements.  Thankfully I met a good sports doctor who taught me several exercises to help me to strengthen up, instead of discouraging me from exercising.

Trust me..the core is the key!  On good days e.g. when i don't slack on core exercises, I run better, I cycle/spin stronger, I jump better, I kick better, I walk better.

Again, being a 'leisure athlete' without formal training, I still tend to pick up aches / injuries along the way...but along the way,  I also continue to build and strengthen my muscles, as a result, I have better controls, hence, the chances of injuries reduces.

So..it's kind of a chicken and egg thing, eh?
Won't say much since I'm not a professional trainer.  I'm trying to strike a balance myself....how much is too much? When to stop? When to rest?


Beautiful...monster :P






Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment