Thursday, March 03, 2011

Blogging vs. Writing

I started blogging in July 2005, that's like 6 years ago!
Reading back some of the trash that I blogged makes me cringe in embarrassment.  I shall slowly remove some of those crappy stuff to upkeep my image :P

Well...I'd like to think that I've matured over the years as a blogger... apart from occasional rambles most of the stuff I blog about nowadays are pretty much topic specific..(I think)

It's becoming harder actually.....some days there's just nothing to blog about or sometimes I'd be too tired or too lazy to blog.  Beats me too, how I still managed to come out with one post a day most of the time :D

I believe I haven't mentioned here that I was invited to contribute an entry to a magazine? That was some time  last year...yeah..apart from telling a few close friends..I've been keeping to myself mainly because I wasn't sure then if it will materialise.  Now I can safely say...Yes, it will materialise, the entry will be published in the Personal Money's April issue =)

Although it was merely re-writing an entry that I've already posted here before, it sure wasn't easy to write a proper piece.  Unlike blogging, where there are no rules and boundaries..where we can practically go frenzy without worrying about consequences and such, writing a proper piece for official publication is totally different.  Conscious effort needed to ensure sentences are somewhat correct, grammatical and typo error reduced to minimum, shut off my rambling mode...etc etc.

I think I must have sat on the task for a good few weeks ..just couldn't get into the right mindset to write seriously.  Obviously, I failed miserable as a professional writer!  Will probably starve if I rely on writing as an occupation.

However, am glad to say the entry had finally been approved, look out for it in April!

Meanwhile, here's a poem from a Charles Bukowski, no idea who he is but what he said is so true.

So You Want To Be A Writer 
if it doesn't come bursting out of you in spite of everything, don't do it.
unless it comes unasked out of your heart and your mind and your mouth and your gut, don't do it.
if you have to sit for hours staring at your computer screen or hunched over your typewriter searching for words, don't do it.


if you're doing it for money or fame, don't do it.
if you're doing it because you want women in your bed, don't do it.
if you have to sit there and rewrite it again and again, don't do it.
if it's hard work just thinking about doing it, don't do it.
if you're trying to write like somebody else,forget about it.
if you have to wait for it to roar out of you, then wait patiently.
if it never does roar out of you,do something else.

...CLICK  HERE for the complete poem.









Best Blog Tips

5 comments:

  1. Well done!!! That is at least a start. Maybe after that article is published, more ppl will look for you to write leh :).

    So keep on writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's do a face-to-face interview one day. =P

    ReplyDelete