Sunday, September 11, 2011

Happy Mid Autumn Festival !



Aren't they cute?!

My heart skipped a beat in excitement when I saw these at my favourite bakery.  It's just a humble road side bakery where I buy my favourite kaya puffs every other weekend. Check out the 'workmanship'.

The lady proudly claimed that they are all hand made and we won't find any 猪笼饼 (piggy mooncake) that look these anywhere else.


I used to love this when I was a kid.  Every year, my parents will make sure I have some of these  apart from the ordinary round shaped mooncakes.





Those are the tails!




Cute?

By the way, does anyone know why we have these in addition to the round shaped mooncakes?

I read somewhere that says in the olden days bakers made these from leftover dough to avoid wastage.

I personally think that these were intentionally made without those sweet fillings and yolk ..specially for kids who may not like the yolk and pastes.

But,.why piggy shaped huh?


  



Best Blog Tips

5 comments:

  1. This is the type where it comes in a magenta colour net, shaped like a cone, correct? And in it are usually fish shaped dough.

    Wow........ memories.. I almost forgotten them. How come we are not selling anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want I want!!! Nowadays difficult to find oredi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yea.. Piggy but yes fishes too. I got these from a stall in Kepong maluri . Pasar Malam willhave but these are more crafty, my N & N didn't like them though, the iY generation :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. brings back old memories....very very cute...details of d piggies r so visible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can buy some n share..i really miss eating thtis...used to be my fav during mid-autumn and not the mooncake.

    ReplyDelete