Thursday, March 15, 2012

I made Char Siew !


Few days back, when I saw a piece of fatty pork in the kitchen, I had reminisce of those char siew that my mom used to make.  It's not those that we had in chicken rice shops..but home made ones.  

It was pan fried until very dark brown...the oil and black sauce extracted from the frying goes very well with white rice.  


So..I tempted to make that.  

I had no idea what was the recipe...I just went about doing it based on what I think my mom did.


I marinated with dark soya sauce and sugar.  Should have been longer..but I started late.  Never mind.


At first it looked and tasted totally out.  Color was light brown instead of very dark black brown.  There was brown gravy instead on oil..  Meat tasted bland..no fragrant at all. 

Hmmm....based on memory it should be fragrant..clsoe to charred (that's why it's called char siew).  It should be sweet and..gravy should be just oil and some black sauce.


Decided to give it another go..I added more sugar and dark soya sauce, turned up the the heat !


Here's the outcome :D




Very very close I would say.  

I'd give myself a pass ^^


It should taste better if the meat has more fat and marinated longer..


I think I have a natural cooking talent :D




Best Blog Tips

4 comments:

  1. I got home made char siew recipi. Can share with u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!!! 1 more dish for you to prepare when we have pot luck :). Now you can alternate btwn your famous tom yam or char siew :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nola..this is jus for simple own consumption

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said the same abt your tomyam too but we all LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete