Tuesday, March 06, 2012

How long do brake pads last? - Part 2



..where was I?
In case you missed Part 1, click HERE

So..I was saying..consulted several parties for advice.



The Big Question:
What was the main cause of the fast wear out? Product fault? How can I prove that? Can I get more compensation?


What's next?
Which brand shall I opt for? 
Back to RM300 Original Nissan pads? Or cheaper alternative?


Where shall I go to for the change? 
Back to the previous workshop who supplied the problematic pads, back to Nissan but pay premium or else where?





Regardless, the fact remains, brake pads needs to be changed, fast. Nissan couldn't guarantee that the RM300 part will last.  Whether it is a RM100 or RM300 product, they sing the same song - generally they should last atleast 30,000 to 40,000 km, but it also depends on pne's driving habits, road conditions, bla bla bla.  So there's no guarantee.

I was also told that original parts cost more but not necessary they are of better quality, it's largely because they are imported has there are import taxes.  So..why should I pay more?

I decided to go back to my "trusted" neighbourhood mechanic.  He recommended Mintye, a local brand but trusted.  I paid RM110.  The noises disappeared immediately.  I shouldn't have ignored the noises in the first place.

As for the old pads, he checked and confirmed that they were original, but what was the condition of the pads when it was assembled in August is a question mark.

I decided to write an official complaint to T, the workshop that sold me the pads in August. Mainly because I think the management should be made aware of the issue.  Secondly, I would like to see what they can offer to regain my confidence in them..since I've been a regular customer.

Outcome:
Reply was quite prompt.  Within 24 hours although it was a weekend.
Some general reasons were givien to explain the premature wear out.  
Offered a free inspection by the chief mechanic to determine next course of action,.
Offered another brand at RM130 instead of RM260 - free installation, etc

I replied to say that I've already replaced the pads and there were no more noises. I also highlighted I consulted their mechanic when I heard the noises in August but were told that I can drive on,..bla bla.

Reply:

Is good that is no more sounds or noises after you replace Mintye brake pad. The possibility for the previous brake pad causes the noise is not due to installation method but may due to the following reasons:

  • previous brake pad doesn’t bond well with the old brake disc
  • previous brake pad quality faded
  • old brake disc noise due to even surface already even out with the previous brake pad

Sometimes there are brake noise cannot be eliminate so it ok to drive on with it when no faulty found in the brake system. Since your car is driving with new brake pad without any noise now, is not necessary for us to inspect unless you found something not right with your brake system. Do let us know how much you pay for the Mintye as we will discuss how we can compensate you back something for goodwill. Thank you very much,



Well..I think they realised that there's really nothing much they could do.  I was offered another RM25 goodwill (on top of the earlier RM30) as compensation.

 I hope they will do some internal investigations to clarify the matter and ensure that other customers will not experience a similar experience.  It could be a product fault..it could be a human fault.  I don't know.  

Some financial loss on my side.  
Paid RM218 for original pads but worn out prematurely.  Had to fork out another RM110 for new pads.  Total Compensation - RM55.  What's my net loss? How to calculate?

Now, the other question is..do I still go back to T for tyre & wheels alignment?



Best Blog Tips

3 comments:

  1. Come to think of it now, T could have given you a pair of wore out pads as new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that could be one possibility..up to them to investigate

    ReplyDelete
  3. So don't go for cheaper next door original

    ReplyDelete