Thursday, July 19, 2012

No more injuries please..


So.. I ran the Shape Run again this year.

The Men's Health / Shape Run is one of the most popular run, probably because it's held at night at Putrajaya which is known for it's beautiful night scenery.  And..it's also well known for it's very 'heavy' goody bag, see below:



Registration fee was RM44, we get the above and a running vest.  Worth it?

..I've mentioned before that I was never a keen runner.  I hated running as a kid, I used to cry when my dad took me took me out for jogging.  In school, I was very much in to racquet sports but never in athletics.  I almost passed out when I was 'forced' to compete in the 4x400 race at the sports day during my Form 6 year - they were short of girls.

So, anyway... it's history what got me started in all these running craze.  Probably a case of midlife crisis...or just a case of "everyone's doing it...sounds fun, why not.."

I'm still not good at it.. after three years, there ain't any improvement and plagued with injuries and injuries :s

GLL who started with me did her virgin full marathon at this year's SCKLM!

Me? I'm down to only 5km at the recently concluded Shape Run :D

Looking back at my initial posts when I first started, you will see that I was taking things very lightly.  I was injury-free and stronger..but I was taking it easy.  Now, a few years older with two weak ankles, a stiff back and some other random problems, I wish I had taken it more seriously when I was stronger.

Well. I did say that I run for fun not for results but I'm an data analyst by training..so I couldn't help but analyse..


Let's start with Shape Run.  Coincidence or what..I had injuries for three consecutive Shape Runs! 
wth.

First one was in 2010.. it was going to be my first run beyond 10km, I had high spirits but I picked up a thigh muscle injury post SCKLM.   I took it slowly and  finished the race in 1 hr 47 mins at 8.7 mins/km.

June last year, I picked up a back injury, only did 5km although I registered for 12km. Finished in 37 mins at a relatively slow pace of 8.21 mins/km.

Last Saturday night, I had two weak ankles and a sore left hamstring, did 5km in 41 mins.  But pace was faster at 7.52 mins/ km.  Not too bad for someone with two wobbly legs?   



As for 10km, average finishing time is around 45-60 minutes. Top runners can do it in 30 mins or less.  Check out the chart above, I clocked 1 hr 25 in the 1st run ar ENR 2010, haha.  The most recent 10km was at Nike last year, not too long after returning from a back injury, I clocked 1 hr 13 mins.  Slight improvement there :P

Basically,  I became slightly more serious in the recent runs ..just curious to see how well I can do, after all the injuries.

I was probably at the best during ENR 2011 Half Marathon,  too bad I didn't give it my best. 

I thought I'd give HM another go at this year's Taiping International  (me and my funny reasoning on why run short distance after travelling so far to run in another town..) but now I'm not sure if my two wobbly legs will recover in time. 

Ermm..there are actually three runs in September..

12km KOTR on 9th, 
16th is Taiping HM 
Salomon X-Trail on 30th!


No anymore injuries please, and we shall see...








Best Blog Tips

1 comment:

  1. Once a researcher, ALWAYS a researcher!!!!

    Hope all the injuries will chao fast fast :)

    ReplyDelete