Wednesday, February 08, 2012

The Balut



I just remembered that I've forgotten to blog about us eating the Balut . Ya,..I used the word 'us' , not 'me'.  



I only took a small tiny bite :D  so I can't even describe what it tasted like.  And I think I took the egg white instead of the most nutritious part, the embryo.  So...if I'm not mistaken it tasted like ...EGG lor.

Oh..it's actually fertilised duck egg boiled alive and eaten from the shell, in case you don't know.  



Some info from wikipedia:
The age of the egg before it can be cooked is a matter of local preference. In the Philippines, the ideal balut is 17 days old, at which point it is said to be balut sa puti ("wrapped in white"). The chick inside is not old enough to show its beak, feathers or claws, and the bones are undeveloped. 
The Vietnamese often prefer their balut mature from 19 days up to 21 days, when the chick is old enough to be recognizable as a baby duck and has bones that will be firm but tender when cooked.
Here's a clearer pic from wikipedia:
Read more about Balut - here
Euw...
Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. well at least u tried a bit......i bought the egg n finally i totally chicken out when it came to eating pt....plus i did not have encouraging comrades...wat an excuse blame it on the company! pt blank i chicken out!

    ReplyDelete