Tuesday, February 28, 2012

How long do brake pads last? - Part 1



According to HowStuffWorks - The lifespan of a given set of brake pads is dependent on a very wide set of variables ranging from personal driving style to the impersonal laws of physics. Mechanics and manufacturers have a loosely agreed upon mileage range from around 30,000 to 70,000 miles (48,280 to 112,654 kilometers)...


Well, if you know me well or if you read this space often enough you will recall that the most unlikely things are likely happen to me and my dear life.


And so....I replaced the original brake pads of my aproximately 2.6 year old Latio back in August 2011 Mileage was about 43,000km. Within the range. No issue with that.  Chronology of events as follows:


August 2011
...Nissan Service Centre charges about RM300 for a pair of original sets.  The cost of the of the 40,000km service was estimated at around RM400 which means total cost will be at least RM700 if I were to take the pads from Nissan.  The cost was too much for me to bear at that time. 


..So I made a decision to have the pads changed at T, a place that I solved my alignment problems and I go back religiously for tyre and wheels related matters.  They charged me RM218 , assured me they were original, etc.


..Few days after the change I realised there were "squelling" noises.  I drove back to T for inspection.  I was told that it may be due to uneven disc.  Was told that they can do skimming for me, additional cost of course but it's not compulsory as "it is still safe" to drive, I can ipt to do skimming if I really can't stand the noise"


So..I drove on, despite the noises.  I always have music blasting..so it wasn't that bothersome.




February 2012
50000km service due.  I almost fell off my chair when the service centre called to say my brake pads had exhausted!!!




That marked another episode of my colorful life experiences.. so I spent a few days..talking and writing to several parties at Nissan itself, at T (the place that supplied the pads), at my neighbourhood mechanic...all parties confirmed that the pads were original.  All parties told me the possibilities, the why and why not of such scenario.  All parties agreed that it shouldn't be my driving habits cos the previous pair lasted 43,000km.


So..who's fault is it?  


TO BE CONTINUED...


sigh..the little strange things that happen to me...




     





Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. Then probaby you got a defective brake pad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the first commentator.You probably did get the wrong brake pad.I think you should consider getting a trusted auto maintenance shop that provides good and fix brakes.

    ReplyDelete