Tuesday, October 05, 2010

What is Foursquare?


When the city is your playground!


I love that tagline!
Yes..I really do think that the city becomes our playground with Foursquare : )

I first took notice of  this foursquare 'thing' when I was creeping around Facebook walls.  Thought it was so silly to 'check-in' at every place one arrives in...highways, pharmacies, eateries, gyms, office buildings...I thought it was nonsense... then, little did I know that I'd ended up doing the same few months later!

So what is Foursquare..my friends had been asking me...

For some reasons...only very few of my friends are into this trend.  I only have four friends using it and only one is active.  Other users may have up to 50 if not 100 or 1,000 friends in foursquare.  Either I do not have enough friends or my friends are not trendy enough :-P

So, why am I using Foursquare?  What's the point of wasting time and money logging on to check into a place? Is it so fun to let the world know where I'm eating, where I'm playing, etc etc?

Seriously..I don't know.

FY asked if I'm afraid of stalkers : D
My sis thinks I might be revealing too much personal stuff.

Really?

Well..what's worth in me to stalk? Waste of your time..go stalk some one else.  But I do agree about revealing too much personal ....be careful not to over share.  I refrain from publishing all work related locations.  I don't check in when reach home nor the office. Well, it doesn't make much sense to check into home / office everyday anyway..unless one wants to earn badges... by increasing the number of check ins.

Speaking of badges..yea..we are 'rewarded' with badges as and when we qualify..e.g. the "gym rat" - when one checks in frequently to the gym - but I have not earned that badge simply because I normally only have enough time to change and pee before a class starts ..he he.


Our lives had taken a 180 degree swing ever since Blogs, Twitter and Facebook invaded our planet.  While some still have reservations about sharing their life events and happenings publicly on these social networks, most of us are happy and having fun sharing and broadcasting bits and pieces of our life online in the cyberspace, me inclusive but I do it sparingly.

It's a phenomenon, I think.  I wonder if any psychologists are planning to study and understand the science behind this paradigm shift.

So..when do I check in?  Most of my check ins are related to eating or any interesting activities..preferably things or places that I don't normally do nor visit.

WHY THE FUSS?

Showing Off?


It's probably a Yes :D  


Anyway..what else is there about Foursquare besides Showing Off?


SOURCE :http://foursquare.com

Foursquare is a mobile application that makes cities easier to use and more interesting to explore. 

It is a friend-finder, a social city guide and a game that challenges users to experience new things, and rewards them for doing so.


As of August 2010, foursquare had close to 3 million users worldwide.


Foursquare aims to encourage people to explore their neighborhoods and then reward people for doing so. 


We do this by combining our friend-finder and social city guide elements with game mechanics — our users earn points, win Mayorships and unlock badges for trying new places and revisiting old favorites.

Example of Venue partners in M'sia (not sure if the offers are still valid!):


The Bee (Petaling Jaya, Selangor)
Foursquare users! Check in 5 times and have our nice cappuccino on us!

Spicy Corner (Petaling Jaya, Malaysia)
For every Check In at Spicy Corner, enjoy our signature dessert 'Ice Cream Thosai' for only RM 4.00 ! Trust us, it is delicious!



See you @ Foursquare









Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment