Monday, June 07, 2010

I'm not getting an Iphone

I think ...getting an Iphone is M'sia is a total rip off.

I. Won't. Get an Iphone (in M'sia) unless someone tells me I interpreted the numbers wrongly.

Let's just assume we are only interested in the 16GB model and we do not mind signing up a 2 years contract with a different telco.





Note:
  • The above are sourced from the respective websites i.e. DiGi, Maxis and Singtel sites (dated 1st week June 2010).
  • Exchange rates : 1USD equivalent to RM3.27554 and SG1.4092 respectively 
  • Latest Iphone 3GS 16GB price released on last week of May by Walmart in US is USD97 slashed by about USD100 in anticipation of the fourth generation to be revelaed soon..like now.

Since our beloved telcos have not showing any signs of cutting price...let's just talk about the old pricing.  Assuming an Iphone costs about USD200 in the US, that works out to RM655 and SG282 respectively.

Now..you tell me if we are being ripped-off?


Ok..since I'm already an existing Maxis user..the above doesn't really apply to me.  Do I get preferential price as a "Loyal Customer"?







NOPE!

If I opt for iData3 for example :

  • RM99 Monthly 3GB data access fee (2 yrs contract)
  • Cost of Iphone RM1,490 !








Best Blog Tips

3 comments:

  1. very thorough analysis. if this were published.. Iphone wouldn't sell anymore.. hm.. good, i can stop dreaming about owning one also... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally you are thinking & acting like a researcher :). Good analysis

    ReplyDelete
  3. oi.,.what finally..i'm always 'analytical'.
    anyhow..anyway..tis is the way it is when we earn RM :( just like how we have to pay 3 times more for a camera..etc etc

    ReplyDelete