Thursday, January 13, 2011

Foodspotting

http://www.foodspotting.com
I think this is quite cool :P

Started using it not too long ago..I know I know..another one..after foursquare.
Wait, wait ...before you start rolling your eyes..this is quite different.

See the map above..isn't that cool....  It's linked worldwide. Just key in your location and pics will appear all over the map.  The pics are loaded by 'spotters' like me.  Well, you can't really make out what what is in the pics at first look.  Click on any , the pic will pop out with a full description of the dish and place spotted.

For example:

Coconut herbal chicken soup @ Keong Kee Poh Ban
Changkat Thambi Dollah, Off Jalan Pudu Kuala Lumpur, WP Kuala Lumpur


There is also a "more details" link and it will link you to the actual :original sight" ~ here you will be able to see


.. how many sightings this dish has
..no. of nominations recived
..when was it spotted
..etc



Foodspotting was only founded very recently, so the database is not that strong yet...i.e. it will need more spotting from people like ME to add more value to the database.


Acording to the founders, Foodspotting intends to cater to both foodseekers and foodspottters.

Foodseekers :
When I'm in Imbi for example, and looking for recommendation of food..I can always switch on the foodspotting app in my phone..tap BROWSE, as the phone detects my current location, it will then show a list of food spotted in the closest proximity.

Foodspotters:
Share a dish that you like by taking a pic and details like name of dish and exact location is a must.

The founders had developed a  rating and reputation system to ensure that the database is as 'real' as possible in reflecting the actual market scenario.

I'm still trying to understand it actually.

Read more HERE

Otherwise..I think the key paragraph is this:


Tips: We developed the Foodspotting reputation system (“tips”) to recognize quality contributions to the Foodspotting community. You can earn tips in the following ways:
  • +20 for every sighting  - sighting is easy..I can sight anything, even if it's not good!
  • +25 whenever someone noms something that you spotted first  - if someone tried it and agrees with my sighting they can click NOM IT to agree , that's nice. I'd like that.
  • +20 whenever someone wants something based on your sighting - this is when someone sees my pic and wants to try it..so click WANT IT
  • +10 whenever someone compliments (“Great shot!” or “Great find!”) your sighting - I also get points when someone compliments my shot or recommendation, I have one nomination for Great shot so far ^.^
  • +5 for commenting on or complimenting other people’s sightings - and I also get point when someone leaves a comment on my sightings



The link to my sightings are HERE , take a look and you will know what I mean.

I did 10 spottings so far. Earned 205 tips ..no idea how I got that.  Actually some of the nominations were done by me..that was before I fully understood the system :P.  Now I that do ...I shall leave it to the public to judge my sightings =)


As a foodie, I shall continue using this..with care, will only sight dishes that I really like.

Oh ya..I've inserted the foodspotting gadget here...you will see it on the right column, it shows the my most recent sightings..NOM if you like them :D





Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment