Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I can cook too!

This is the 'famous' tom yam that I make only almost once a year .

Looks good right?

Inspired by my sis in law who is from Thailand.  Quoting her:

"Tom yam is easy to make, only 6 main ingredients, don't have to pay so much to eat in Thai restaurants"

Main Ingredients:

  • Galangal - cut to cubes (better to grind or smashed - but they are so tough!)
  • Lemon grass - cut to piecs or smashed for better taste
  • Fish sauce 
  • Lime leaves
  • Small / Big Chilli - cut or smashed depending on how spicy you want it to be
  • Lime juice - pour in before serving (when fire is off)
  • Salt of course
Measurement & quantity? Don't have any exact ..haha..I'd suggest you try out with a small pot, trial and error. Practice makes perfect :)

Meat wise..chicken or seafood, I personally prefer seafood and some chicken meat (bones) for taste and soup body.  White / Grey abalone mushrooms..seems like a must too.  Not sure if I've eaten any tom yam without these.

Anymore ingredients to suggest?

Personally, I think. besides the main ingredients all the others i.e.meat, vege, seafood that we put in are also key in determining the body and taste of the soup overall.   Good quality prawns, crabs, mussels..will definitely make a difference ....with all these in the soup, it's full points for presentation alone :-)















Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. And it is still one of the best tom yum I have ever tasted, albeit only once a year :)

    ReplyDelete