Sunday, October 04, 2009

My first competitive Mixed Doubles Experience

I figured out why my butt hurts so much eventhough mixed doubles play doesn't require the female partner to exert much.  It is because the female partner is always in a half squat position (or is it just me??).  Seriously..most of the time..my job was just to make sure I duck 'efficiently' so that my partner can retrieve the shots efficiently ..lol.  It's not an easy job ok...one gotta be agile enough to bounce up or forward quickly enough to retrieve net shots 'skillfully' as and when necessary. 

My butt hurts.  My thigh hurts.  Basically every single muscle in the butt/thigh area hurts.  I could barely go up a short flight of staircase after the last match just now.  Oh ..we lost narrowly..so we only got the 4th place.  No cash. Just souvenier..T-shirt an towel I think.  Have not got them yet as I didn't stay for the prize giving session.

Playing mixed doubles is so different.  Think I'm beginning to get the hang of it though.  In fact I enjoyed myself in the last match.  First two matches were disasters for me..luckily my partner covered well..if not we wouldn't have gone this far.  Got a few compliments too ;-p  One guy said that my gaya (i.e. style) on guard look like a pro today...hahaha...gaya only.

In the midst of one of the games..my partner got many points in a row with his excellent tricky serves.  He said that 'stealing points from his serves is one of his main task'.  As I passed him the shuttlecock, I replied 'picking up the shuttle cock for you to serve is my main task' :-D 

Most of our opponents are seasoned mixed doubles players who play quite regularly in club tournaments...so we did quite well indeed for a scratch pair.  We could have gone further if I'd played better.  My partner was also relatively more tired today cos he also played in men's doubles...meaning he played a total of 8 games in two days!

Thank God it's over!  So stressful...though I managed to relax & enjoyed alot more in the last game.  Guess what I did..after the last match I zoomed to the gym to catch a BC class.  Needed that to help release all the tension from the last two days!  WK was asking me..why do I still need to go to the gy, when I know there is a badminton game pn the same day.  Body combat is my drug.  It helps me to de-stress.  It helps me to re-charge.  It rejuvenates me :-)  Crazy ah?  But it works for me lor. 

Ok ... think I will hit the sack early today.  I foresee a long week ahead.  It's funny how...symptoms of a cold / flu re-appear when all my activities are over.  Runny nose and been sneezing away.

Nitez.
Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment