Monday, May 04, 2009

Financial Aid for the Disable

I have a cousin who is special. She is mentally handicapped and unable to speak. Should be around 30 yr old by now. My aunt (her mom) is not very well off. Last year I got to know that the disable community is entitled for some kind of welfare financial aid up to $300 a month and asked my aunt to apply for it. $300 a month is a lot of money and can be put to very good use in the long term.

Unfortunately, they were given such a hard time at the Jabatan Kebajikan Masyarakat in Jalan Raja Laut (Welfare Department of Malaysia). Application was submitted donkey months ago (around mid 2008). By now she has been called to the office many times but nothing has been approved.

Basically (in summary) she was told that my cousin is not entitled to the $300 because one needs to work to be entitled. It's part of the rules and regulations to encourage the community to work (regardless of salary) despite their condition. Ok...I can understand the rational behind this rule.

Lemme tell you..my aunt works as a hawker. Doesn't have own transport. We know that it is possible to find some simple job for my cousin in some disable centre...but what about transportation? My aunt can't afford to stop working.

The officers kept telling her about not being able to approve the aid bla bla ba ..becos she is not working but none gave her any solution to make life easier for her. Help her find a job that provide transportation for example?

Apparently, some MCA rep tried to help look into the matter. Of course ..all these took over a few months to happen. One of the solution offered was to have my aunt 'act' as an employer instead...bank in an amount into my cousin's account officially each month..so that there is an official salary record. But some officer at the department disapprove to this suggestion. So..it's all back to square one.

My aunt is totally put off now by now. She has made so many trips, wasted so much time and effort talking to them over and over again..and yet nothing is achieved. They did offer her some $80 a month instead since my cousin is not working...and my aunt is willing to accept that...but even that..is taking so long to be approved!

I did a quick check at the website and found out that there is another form of aid called Bantuan OKU Tidak Berupaya Bekerja (Aid for Non Working Disable) of $150 a month. NOW...why wasn't aunt offered that!

I feel like going with her one day and give these people a piece of my mind!

I am begining to wonder ..what exactly is the objective of the welfare department....by making things as difficult as possible??
Best Blog Tips

1 comment: