Monday, May 18, 2009

Nescafe & Antioxidant

Recently, a Nescafe promoter stopped me while I was browsing in Giant. Normally on a hot tired afternoon..after a heavy weekend lunch, I'd welcome free sampling from these promoters..especially, coffee :) Really don't mind. But she went on and on 'lecturing' me about the goodness of coffee (or is it Nescafe specifically, I don't know..) that contains antioxidant.



Stood there for a good 2-3 mins wondering what she expected from me. Only handed me a brochure..that I am not interested in. In my mind ..I was like.."at least give me a drink la..it will definitely wake me up and I will be able to respond to your lecture". I know she was only doing her job..at the end of the day..her job is to encourage us to buy a pack or two of Nescafe.



Jokes aside..but I believe in some ways there is something amiss in this campaign. Me ain't no marketing expert, just my thoughts, Nescafe is already a huge a household brand. Does it actually need to spend so much such campaigns..that I personally don't think matters to consumers..coffee drinkers in particular.



I'm a coffee drinker..can't do without at least one dosage a day. Antioxidant or not..I don't really care..I only know that I need it. and I gotta have it. Everyday. But...I don't buy Nescafe. I order it ocassionally at the stalls..but I don't normally make coffee at home. I prefer either a good latte at Starbucks, local kopi in a regular kopi shop or a brewed fresh milk coffee at the mamak joint. Only on desperate occassions when I am stuck at home..I will use whatever 3 in 1 brand that my father has in the house. But not Nescafe..even my 70 year old father has moved away from Nescafe. Not even 3 in 1.



I don't know what's the percentage of Malaysian households we represent but I really don't see how this campaign can convert us back to Nescafe. Do you?

What about non coffee drinkers? Will this campaign encourage non coffee drinkers to come on board?


Some background of the campaign :

The campaign aims to boost Nescafe's brand image through highlighting the natural antioxidant, an ingredient beneficial to health, in coffee.

"In this campaign, we wanted to return to the core and bring the spotlight on the source of coffee and Nescafe as well as the natural antioxidants it contains," Lee Szu Hung, ECD for McCann Erickson Malaysia, said.

"Through our findings, we realized that most people are unaware that coffee comes from coffee cherries which contain antioxidants. With this campaign, we hope to drive the awareness of this fact so you can enjoy another cup of Nescafe."
Read more HERE
Best Blog Tips

5 comments:

  1. think it's a campaign, trying to differentiate itself further, from others. but true, i drink all sorts of coffee, except nescafe, too strong for my digestive system... get immediate diarrhoea without fail...nice observation ah...

    ReplyDelete
  2. about time to have some 'intellectual' stuff here before u ppl think I m 'empty up there'.

    btw..IO..i m desperate...have u played with Kalkitos??

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, i have played with kalkitos... if i understand the description of it correctly la.. didn't know what to call it last time... got so canggih name one ah? :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. know what i found out? Nescafe is not natural!!!! It's synthetic coffee!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. never expected it to be too natural anyway. but are u sure or not..nanti kena sue.

    ReplyDelete