Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tai chi when it is not slow

Quite a few have asked me..why do I learn tai ci when it is so slow and boring.




Here is a demo I recorded quite some time ago. See above..it is not always slow ..you know?


As I said many times .. tai chi requires a lot of patience and depth. Was telling WK the other night..I was distracted quite a bit ever since I started joining active group classes at the gym, however I'm still determined to continue for as long as I can. As long as I live ..I hope.


The above may look 'fake'. Trust me..it's real. And he had not even release 100% strength..if he did..the 'opponent' would have flew out the window!


Learning tai ci is almost a lifetime process. No one dares claim to have learnt and master everything. If I may say..you don't stop learning until you die.


I've been so called learning for more than two years...mind me...I seriously believe that I only know about 0.01% of all there is to learn!


No doubt..I've learnt all the steps of the "four subsets of the short set" ..one of the very first things taught to newbies. Oh before that..we must learn the five 'warm up exercises'...that itself took us like two months..now you know why I kept saying tai chi needs loads of patience. FYI..we still can't do the warm up exercises Correctly!


I've also learnt the steps of the Cane (tongkat).


Sounds like a lot...but knowing the steps versus doing it correctly vs doing it with depth and heart makes a difference.


Ok..I won't bore you with more details. In case you are wondering...there are many more stuff to learn..e.g. the long set, there's something called the 'kwan tou' (i.e. knife), the sword, the stick....etc etc etc.


But then again...doing it correctly and with depth matters. One may know all..but if he/she merely runs through the steps without proper execution...it defeats the purpose.''


You can ask me again in 10 years time...to see how far I progressed :)


For more info..click here http://www.huangtaichitenom.com/


Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment