Sunday, October 26, 2008

Happy Deepavali

Picture Source: http://www.malaysiasite.nl/deepavali.htm

Happy Deepavali to all my Hindu friends and of course..Happy Holidays to all who once again have this previlege to share the holiday..as usual..in Malaysia....we get to share festive after festive :) Just 2 weeks ago we had a good 5 day long break to celebrate the Hari Raya Puasa.

Deepavali is a colorful festival that is celebrated by all Hindus worldwide is Deepavali, which is also known as the festival of lights. This festival usually falls around late October and November. One important practice that the Hindus follow during the festival is to light oil lamps in their homes on Deepavali morning. By lighting the oil lamps, the Hindus are thanking the gods for the happiness, knowledge, peace and wealth that they have received. The Hindus consider Deepavali as one of the most important festivals to celebrate. Read more about the festival ..here > http://www.essortment.com/all/whatisdeepaval_rgwe.htm

This reminds me of Chris! Many years ago..we were signing a Deepavali card for Usha (our department secretary) in the M company. Chris exclaimed that that was her first time signing a Deepavali card. We all gasped (!!)..and then laughed out loud....it's quite normal for Chris..cos she had never eaten roti canai or capati before meeting us. I guess it depends on the neighbourhood and type of school that one grows up in. For me..I grew up in a national school (sekolah kebangsaan) and being the 'sociable' me - I have friends from all background, sizes, age, races. Well, KT thinks that I am a hypocrite (which I agree to a certain extent) cos I am always 'nice' to everyone.

Those were the days. Sad to say..once I left school, naturally, my circle of friends narrowed down to typical Chinese mainly. I've been missing the rendang that I get to eat every year in Rafidah's house. Since I left the M company...I don't get to eat the best muruku from Usha anymore. Even amongst current..Chinese friends we actually stopped visiting each other on CNY. Sad....modernisation?

Anyway, Geetha (former CS school mate re-connected recently via FB) has invited some of us to her house tomorrow. I hope I can make it there ..yum yum!
Best Blog Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment