Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Co-branded Credit Cards


PIC SOURCE : www.standardchartered.com.my

While I was at the Nissan service centre recently, I was approached by a StanChart personnel (or agent) about the above. A co-branded Nissan-Standard Chartered credit card. Apart from normal credit card functions..it boasts of the following EXCLUSIVE only for Nissan Owners:

  • 10% off Nissan car service
  • 15% off Nissan genuine car parts at Nissan Authorised Service Centres
  • Up to 50% discount at participating hotels and resorts

I guess they are trying to make us feel proud to be owners of a Nissan. But I declined the card. "It's a matter of principle"...I told the guy. Personally, as a consumer, I am against co-branded card ...I mean..come on..put yourself in our shoes..how many cards do they want us to carry in our wallet?

Every other month, a new card is launched and do they seriously expect us to sign up for each one? And..are we expected to carry and swipe different cards for ..let's say:

...Citibank when at Giant & Shell, CIMB when at Petronas, RHB when I'm at Tesco....and the list goes on and on.

Here's a great piece of article dated Aug '08 about co-branded cards :

A typical wallet today would contain a minimum of three such loyalty cards. In addition, co-branded loyalty credit cards are becoming increasingly popular.


Perhaps the first to start the ball rolling was the Ikea Friends Alliance Bank credit card launched in April 2002. Combining the benefits of a loyalty/affinity card and convenience of a payment card, it was the first of its kind in the country. The novelty of the concept piqued the interest of consumers, and thousands signed up for the cards within months. The launch also raised the profile and awareness of both Ikea and Alliance Bank.

Over the years, credit card issues have launched no less than 20 co- branded credit cards with merchants, brands and associations. Citibank paired up with Celcom and AirAsia, and recently Shell and Giant. RHB Bank launched the RHB PlusOne with the Senheng/SenQ chain of electrical stores. Standard Chartered Bank co-branded with Nissan and Amway. MBf Cards signed up a pretty interesting mix including Poh Kong, Budimas Charitable Foundation, the Asian Institute of Medicine, Science & Technology (AIMST), and even the Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA)!

Read more -- HERE

Being a market research consultant, I'd consider myself half a marketeer....I clearly understand that these had to be done to create buzz and to induce share of wallet / spend etc etc.

No thank you. I know there can be savings in some cases..but I'm just happy with one master and one visa. err..well..I did sign up for another visa just so I can stretch my gym membership payment to 36 mths instalment ..hehe.

How many cards do you have??

Best Blog Tips

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have quite a few cards in the past. Now I have 4 but I only use 2 of them regularly. The other 2 I don't cancel coz I have insurance and bills to pay from those cards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep as few cards as possible..why...to keep ur credit rating up (financial) of course!

    ReplyDelete