Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Doc Visit (again)

(I was going to post this last night but lost half the entry due to lost internet connection. Let me quickly try to re-cap what I lost ...NM!)


I went to see a doctor yesterday. This time about the nagging pain in my knees, shins and ankles. Finally decided to seek some advice after much pondering. The last time I visited a doc for similar problems was back in July 07 . Since then the discomfort come and go ocassionally depending on whatever I did or shouldn't have done. The discomfort/aches are not seriously unbearable, that's why I can live with them lingering around for years.


This time I got a bit worried because one of my tai ci mate who had also been bearing a lingering ankle problem for months (probably years) was told by her doctor that she had aggravated an old injury (a hairline fracture) and because there wasn't any medical attention applied, the fracture had become almost permanent and can't properly support her ligaments, muscles, tissues now. (Am trying my best to explain the condition in layman term, hope I got it right). Anyway...in other words, nothing much can be done to her ankle now. The doctor taught her some exercises to strengthen her muscles - thats all. The doctor also mentioned that the condition of her bones are equivalent to a 60 yr old..she is only 40!

I don't want to experience the same in 5 years time! Plus, the on and off nagging pains had been affecting my fav past time at the gym and on court.

The doctor I saw yesterday is a full time sports physician and was previously attached to the NSC. I found him on this website while I was looking up for information related to my problems. I know I know..I've seen several doctors and practitioners..medical and alternative practices...whom do I trust? Well, before deciding to make a personal visit, I communicated with this doctor via a few emails and I kind of liked his approach. In addition, he currently practices as a GP, so charges won't be exorbitant.

Outcome - ?

The good news is my ankles are alright and my problems are quite common. He also said that most of these problems occur when one's muscles are not strong enough to support such strenous activities (walking inclusive - if it gets worse). While these problems are common, if left unattended, over time, it may lead to other complications in different parts of the body e.g. back, hip, etc etc - ring some bells....

As expected, I was adviced to reduce high impact activities...for instance...body combat and badminton :((( Instead, he taught me some simple exercises to strengthen my core muscles around the hamstring, back ..etc (can't remember ..too many things discussed). Was also given medication to reduce possible inflammation and a gel to relieve the pain (if any).

Conclusion - ?

It's all up to me isn't it? To do those exercises diligently and strengthen those muscles. And...(this is hard to do)...cut down on BC :(
Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. You must take doc's advice, babe. I know it means sacrificing BC but this is only temporary. once you've strengthened those muscles you can move even better than you do now. so focus on muscles now ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you come to your senses and went to see the good doc.

    I agree with mag that you shld take the doc advice and reduce your BC session. Just until you have managed to strengthen your muscles. Once you hv done that, you can do ALL the BC you like :)

    ReplyDelete