Saturday, November 22, 2008

Yoga is Haram!

Suddenly so many things in my mind. A few things I wanna pour out here. Some happy some not so happy stuff. Been "busy" on cyberworld since an hour ago. Lost my cool (again) towards dad just now ... I know I shouldn't but ....

Anyway..first let me note down this latest piece national news update (as usual..news in M'sia can be quite mind boggling:

The Star Online (6.09pm):
Fatwa Council says yoga with worshipping, chanting is prohibited..

The 1st paragraph says:
The National Fatwa council has declared that the yoga practice which involves three elements of physical movements, worshipping and chanting as haram (prohibited) in Islam
My Q: So....yoga is allowed if not all 3 elements is practiced?



And following paragraph says:
Its chairman Datuk Dr Abdul Shukor Husin said although merely doing the physical movements of yoga minus the worshipping and chanting might not be wrong in the eyes of the religion, it should be avoided as “doing one would lead to another”.

He said yoga has been practised by the Hindu community for thousands of years and incorporates physical and religious elements and chants and worshipping, with the aim at “being one with God”.

“Because of this, we believe that it is inappropriate for Muslims to do yoga and the council has declared that practising yoga when it comes all together with the three elements as haram.

My Q: Err...so......yoga is still allowed if either one element is practiced?

Still confused...I read on:
“We discourage Muslims to do yoga as a form of exercise because it will ultimately lead to religious worshipping and chanting which is against Islam.

“In Islam, one must not do things which can erode one’s aqidah or faith. Doing yoga, even just the physical movements is a step towards an erosion of one’s faith in the religion, hence Muslims should avoid it,” he told a press conference.
My Q: Ah..so ne. So can practice or not?


Read more - HERE
Marina Mahathir's views - HERE

Well, this is of no relevance ot me lar..as I have not been doing yoga for quite some time and I am not a Muslim nor do I operate a yoga centre. But I just find the declaration so confusing...do you?


Best Blog Tips

2 comments:

  1. Net Net the 'power that be' thinks that the Muslims here are very stupid and they can't think for themselves. So they hv to regulate everything for the Muslims in this country.........

    Bravo for Islam Hadhari!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *shake head* i was equally confused when i heard the news in the TV.. what is this la..

    ReplyDelete